[linux-dvb] Re: overlay-problem -> pci-latency

Hallo Michael,

Am Sonntag, 15. Februar 2004 13:50 schrieben Sie:
> I once introduced a bug that cause this, but this has been fixed for a
> long time now. (I just confirmed this with a fresh CVS driver)

sorry - i didn't notice this. I was using Klaus' recommended driver version,
will drop him a note.

> Hm, can you take a screenshot of the problems you are experiencing?

Will test with the newer version first.

> > Feb 15 12:46:02 [kernel] saa7146: ==> calculate_video_dma1_overlay:
> > illegal values: y: 0  h: 0  d: 16  b: 4096  base: -536870912
>
>  From this output I conclude that you are using an "old" DVB driver (ie.
> not the dvb-kernel CVS driver or an 2.6 kernel), right?

Yes, i have a version from 08/03 or so. Just checked out module
"dvb-kernel" from cvs, but it gives lots of compile errors in
v4l2-common.c

Is this the right version or do i need dvb-kernel-v4 ??

> I'm sorry, but I don't debug video problems on that version any more,
> because too much has changed on the way to the current driver version.
> Because it's going to fade away slowly, we should debug and fix the
> driver for a recent driver.

Definitely agreed!

> Intel chipsets were always rock-solid for me. So it's likely a driver bug.

So i hoped ;-)

> > while grabbing an image or using xv in an overlay-displaying application
> > (as my kvdr) the overlay is turned back on by the driver accidently,
> > therefore one needs to set it to a very small size that it does'nt
> > disturb the xv-frame. At least i have no other idea what to do with the
> > overlay if i don't want it to be seen.
>
> Sounds bogus, too, or I did not understand the problem. 8-(

I will test this with the newer driver and come back to this if required ;-)

> Anyway, I'd like to ask you to try the "dvb-kernel" driver from CVS or
> the recent official release tarball.

I tried http://linuxtv.org/download/dvb/linuxtv-dvb-1.1.0.tar.bz2 too and got
the same errors.

v4l2-common.c:135: warning: `struct v4l2_prio_state' declared inside parameter
list
v4l2-common.c:135: warning: its scope is only this definition or declaration,
which is probably not what you want
v4l2-common.c: In function `v4l2_prio_init':
v4l2-common.c:137: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
.
.
.

Do i need a special version of kernel (have 2.4.20) and/or v4l2 ?

> I remember that "kvdr" is Video4Linux-1, not Video4Linux-2, right?
> In that case, all stuff will go through the compatibility layer, but
> that works for most programs. If there are problems with that, I'll be
> glad to help.

Yes and thanks ;-)

Guido

PS: there is still the problem of the outcommand-errors and instable firmware,
any news there?