[linux-dvb] Re: Siemens DVB-C CI and RGB

Manfred Petz wrote:
On Tue, 17 Feb 2004, Fabian Kronner wrote:

| PS: As a sidenote for anyone that's interested; the Irdeto 4.9SE CAM
| works flawelessly for Premiere (including Activations via Cable) with
| VDR 1.2.6... using a Siemens DVB-C w/ CI-Module that is! It it only were
| possible to decrypt more than one channel simultaneously...

If VDR had implemented this (as I understood, it hasn't yet), then it still
depends on the CAM. I found out that not all CAMs strictly follow the
specifications of EN 50221 which requests that a CAM should be able to
do this. Cryptoworks for example does, AlphaCrypt doesn't (at least I couldn't
make it work). I don't know about the Irdeto, though.
Just an ill informed thought so please don't hit me, but.....

Given we have budget cards that are capable of pulling down an encrypted stream, would it be possible to build a generic smart card interface that we can use for all ISO compatible cards to do software CAM emulation?

Given the use of a legal card this "should" not violate any laws ?

I'm sure I have seen "discussion" on this in the archives somewhere but they all seemed related to not having a legal card. If one has a legit subscription it should all be kosher I guess.

Just a thought.

Brad