[linux-dvb] Re: Siemens DVB-C CI and RGB

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 02:33:24PM +0400, Brad Campbell wrote:
> Manfred Petz wrote:
> >On Tue, 17 Feb 2004, Fabian Kronner wrote:
> >
> >| PS: As a sidenote for anyone that's interested; the Irdeto 4.9SE CAM
> >| works flawelessly for Premiere (including Activations via Cable) with
> >| VDR 1.2.6... using a Siemens DVB-C w/ CI-Module that is! It it only were
> >| possible to decrypt more than one channel simultaneously...
> >
> >If VDR had implemented this (as I understood, it hasn't yet), then it still
> >depends on the CAM. I found out that not all CAMs strictly follow the
> >specifications of EN 50221 which requests that a CAM should be able to
> >do this. Cryptoworks for example does, AlphaCrypt doesn't (at least I
> >couldn't
> >make it work). I don't know about the Irdeto, though.
>
> Just an ill informed thought so please don't hit me, but.....
>
> Given we have budget cards that are capable of pulling down an encrypted
> stream, would it be possible to build a generic smart card interface that
> we can use for all ISO compatible cards to do software CAM emulation?
>
> Given the use of a legal card this "should" not violate any laws ?
>
> I'm sure I have seen "discussion" on this in the archives somewhere but
> they all seemed related to not having a legal card. If one has a legit
> subscription it should all be kosher I guess.

There already is that kind of plugin for vdr.

I don't know about software CAM emulation, but i'd suppose it is legal if
you have legal viewing card. You are only replacing CI+CAM combo with a
smartcard-reader and a piece of software.

Note: I'm not a lawyer :)

-- Pasi Kärkkäinen

                                   ^
                                .     .