[linux-dvb] Re: Generating progressive video

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 11:48:37AM +0100, Michael Plagge wrote:
> Hallo Pasi,
>
> > > Does this mean, you stretch one field (288 lines) to a full frame
> > > without weaving two consecutive fields together for one frame. Wouldn't
> > > it be easy to do at least some kind of weaving, which is perfect for
> > > film mode material.
> > >

> > If you stretch all the fields to the full size of frame, and show them at
> > 50/60 fps, you get perfectly smooth video (if the content is interlaced).
> >

> Yes this is one possibility, but you will lose vertical resolution.
> Imagine a square made of black and white horizontal lines, each 1 pixel
> (or line) thick in front of a background of different color. With your
> approach you'll get a square of different (black / white) color at each
> frame. (Most likely you will see a gray square at 50 Hz). I would like
> to see the original stripy square (at least while it is not moving) at
> each frame.

Yes, this is true. I think there are algorithms which give you full fps and
full resolution..

> > Blending the fields together and showing as single frame drops the "fps" to
> > the half.
>
> But i think this is no problem (i hope :-) ) since you can display each
> full frame twice. I suppose this is the same way custom dvd-players with
> a progressive output handle this (independent of the way they do the
> deinterlacing)

I just wanted to comment on this, because too many people forget that all the
fields are from different moment of time..

so combining the fields as a frame loses half of the smoothness.. and you
definitely see/notice that.

Sports and live stuff on TV is almost always 50/60 fields/sec interlaced
material.. movies (coming from film) are usually not interlaced.

50 frames/sec progressive video would be nice :)

-- Pasi Kärkkäinen

                                   ^
                                .     .
                                 Linux