[linux-dvb] Re: Generating progressive video

Hallo Pasi,

> > Does this mean, you stretch one field (288 lines) to a full frame
> > without weaving two consecutive fields together for one frame. Wouldn't
> > it be easy to do at least some kind of weaving, which is perfect for
> > film mode material.
> >

> If you stretch all the fields to the full size of frame, and show them at
> 50/60 fps, you get perfectly smooth video (if the content is interlaced).

Yes this is one possibility, but you will lose vertical resolution.
Imagine a square made of black and white horizontal lines, each 1 pixel
(or line) thick in front of a background of different color. With your
approach you'll get a square of different (black / white) color at each
frame. (Most likely you will see a gray square at 50 Hz). I would like
to see the original stripy square (at least while it is not moving) at
each frame.

> Blending the fields together and showing as single frame drops the "fps" to
> the half.

But i think this is no problem (i hope :-) ) since you can display each
full frame twice. I suppose this is the same way custom dvd-players with
a progressive output handle this (independent of the way they do the
deinterlacing)

> tvtime(.sf.net) does "full-framerate" deinterlacing using many algorithms
> under Linux..

Yes i know, but as i mentioned in one of my prior posts, tvtime does not
work with the current CVS version of DirectFB (it worked for me with
0.9.20). Also the author of tvtime wrote on the mailinglist that the
DirectFB support was made by someone different, and he personally has no
time to support DirectFB. Also i would like the idea of having a generic
library for deinterlacing support.

best wishes
michael plagge