[linux-dvb] Re: SU1278/STV0299 and technotrend DVB-S cards

On Friday 20 February 2004 18:00, Holger Waechtler wrote:
> Andrew de Quincey wrote:
> > Hi, I've just spent a few days investigating the Technotrend DVB-S cards
> > with SU1278 tuners. It turns out the register settings they use are very
> > different from the ones in the linux driver.
> >
> > I've just checked in an improved version that, on technotrend hardware,
> > now uses the same settings as the windows one. This has greatly improved
> > the error rates on certain channels I was having difficulty with before.
> >
> > The STV0299 on other hardware is unchanged.
>
> Can please somebody test and report whether these settings improve
> receiption for other tuner modules based on the stv0299 too?

Hmm, just encountered a strange problem with multiple cards. Say I have two
SU1278-based DVB-S cards in a machine, side by side, dvbs-0 is connected to
hotbird, and dvbs-1 is connected to Astra2.

On certain frequency combinations the following occurs:
Tune dvbs-0 to freqHB. Success. I leave the device open, monitoring the signal
quality.

Attempt to tune dvbs-1 to freqAS. Fails.. seems to see no signal at all, no
matter how long I leave it.

BUT: if I try to tune dvbs-1 several times, each time opening and closing the
frontend device (which causes an FE_INIT ioctl to be sent, which sets the
frontend to default values), eventually, it does lock on. Note can take up to
3 open/SET_FE/close combinations to get it to actually lock.

Once both of them have locked on, they both get a really good signal; VERR and
BER both always 0 (I've tried multiple times with the STB0299 set to each).

I'll see if I can find out exactly whats happening, but does anyone have any
ideas? I mean, I can always hack my userspace app to perform the
open/SETFE/close thing a few times to see, but really this sort of thing
should'nt be exposed to the user.