[linux-dvb] Re: Avermedia howto question

strider400@optusnet.com.au wrote:

Ok, I think that I now have kernel 2.6.2 installed ok and the drivers dvb-core.o, bttv.o, bt878.o, dvb-bt8xx.o and sp887x.o. What else do I need to do to actually watch dvb within linux? Do I need DVBtune or DVBstream, or can I get away with just using scan? How do I use a viewer with the drivers, does this have to do with dvr0?
The best way is with Xine. You can do xine dvb://1 where the number references the line in channels.conf.

You need a channels.conf in ~/.xine. You can use scan to create it.

Alternatively you can use tzap to select a channel and in another xterm cat /dev/dvb/adaptor0/dvr0 to a file or redirect it to mplayer. In this case the channels.conf needs to be in ~/.tzap. I use symbolic link so there's only one channels.conf.

Dick