[linux-dvb] xine vs mythtv

I've got the same setup here, and I've been fighting with mythtv for a while. I never tried xine before Dick suggested it - it's way more solid, doesn't fall over on bad data like myth does, and from its CPU usage, it seems to be using the HW mpeg decoder on EPIA - so I'm quite tempted to use it.

But.. as xine is primarily a video player rather than a TV app, it's not obvious how to change channels!

Can anyone who's using xine spend 5 minutes explaining how to set it up to do channel changing, volume adjustment, pause/ff/rew, and aspect changing? I spend ages looking at the docs, and you've got to trawl through mountains of it just to find out that what you want isn't documented...

Alternatively, can anyone explain how to use the xine display engine within freevo or mythtv (if that's possible)

cheers
Andrew

Dick Middleton wrote:

strider400@optusnet.com.au wrote:

Ok, I think that I now have kernel 2.6.2 installed ok and the drivers dvb-core.o, bttv.o, bt878.o, dvb-bt8xx.o and sp887x.o. What else do I need to do to actually watch dvb within linux? Do I need DVBtune or DVBstream, or can I get away with just using scan? How do I use a viewer with the drivers, does this have to do with dvr0?

The best way is with Xine. You can do xine dvb://1 where the number references the line in channels.conf.

You need a channels.conf in ~/.xine. You can use scan to create it.

Alternatively you can use tzap to select a channel and in another xterm cat /dev/dvb/adaptor0/dvr0 to a file or redirect it to mplayer. In this case the channels.conf needs to be in ~/.tzap. I use symbolic link so there's only one channels.conf.

Dick