[vdr] Re: Enhancing vdr UI usability

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 06:25:59PM +0200, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> > To each his own...  I want my vdr box to more closely resemble the
> > operation of every other STB I've ever used.
>
> Ah, that's what's generally called the "baby duck effect" (no offense ;-).

Why should non-computer users have to think like computer programmers in
order to effectively use VDR?

> Well, then let's take a look at a simple example: in, for instance, the
> the "Recordings" menu, how would you delete a recording with just the
> arrow keys and the "Ok" button?

I would like to see how Tivo does it prior to commenting, but I assume
there's an "info" screen for each recorded program on which there is a
delete button.

> I'm pretty sure the number of key presses you need to do the same
> things as in the current VDR will be considerably higher... ;-)

I am not entirely convinced of that.  The procedure for looking for
progamming on other channels is awkward compared to a single "guide"
click and scrolling with the arrows.

Mike.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index