[linux-dvb] Re: [RFC][ANNOUNCE] blindscan: auto search everything

Roberto Ragusa wrote:

(BTW, typedefs are deprecated for kernel code (only allowed
for explicitly opaque data types)).

Until now, I've been contested:

1) "&buf" instead of "buf"
2) "//" comments
3) use of typedef

the funny part is that

1) I copied&pasted existing code
2) "//" comments are everywhere
3) typedef are everywhere in frontend.h

:-) :-) :-)
In the days when we defined this header the common consensus was that atomic types can get typedef'd, somposite structs and unions should not. I did not followed the recent babbles of the fanatic codingstyle priests on the lkml, so I don't know the current policy. Removing the typedefs afterwards from pulic API headers would break userspace applications.

He proposed many ioctl (START_SCAN, CONTINUE_SCAN, STOP_SCAN),
and they may be useful in the future even if they are not needed
at the moment.
These are only useful if the hardware can indeed scan a frequency
range automatically. If not, they are useless as userspace can
only check (a small band around) one frequency, and retrieve the
result (no signal, or a full parameter set). So please check
the data sheets again (for mt352 and mt312) to see if this is
true.

mt312: it is possible to specify  a small band (+-15MHz max,
+-6MHz default); so not a frequency scan, just autofinetuning.
The wide band makes sense for scanning/autoprobing, the small band is more useful for normal SET_PARAMETER calls because of faster lock times. For DVB-S demods it might make sense to make the used bandwidth also dependent of the symbolrate for optimal results.

Holger

Home | Main Index | Thread Index