[vdr] Re: New VideoCD Patch

----- Original Message -----
From: "Klaus Schmidinger" <Klaus.Schmidinger@cadsoft.de>
To: <vdr@linuxtv.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2001 11:40 PM
Subject: [vdr] Re: New VideoCD Patch

> I know there are quite a few pwople who are eagerly awaiting all the
various
> player patches to be integrated into VDR. But this is not going to happen
> before VDR version 1.00, and after that I am planning to implement a
generic
> player interface that allows a new player to be implemented as a library
> object that can be dynamically called at runtime, so there will be no more
> need for patching the VDR source. New players can then be implemented
completely
> separately, and VDR just has to be instructed (at startup or through a
config
> file, haven't decided yet) which players to include. Ok, so far for the
theory - I can't
> guarantee that this will work, but I'll try to make it so...
>
> Klaus

Have you considered using a client/server implementation ? I think it would
have several adavantages. For example, you could have a large, noisy server
with 4 DVB cards, big disks (and why not a noisy DVD reader) in a closet
near the dishes.  This PC would run a VDR server, a MP3 server, a DVD
server, a VCD server, a DIVX server, a photo album server ...
Then there are the clients, which manage the display, OSD, and IR remote
control. We'd have clients for the WinTV-DVB-S card, for the DXR3, for VGA
with software MPEG decoding, for Windows .... The client PC could be
diskless.
The servers and the clients should be able to run on the same PC, for people
wishing to have a large  PC in their living-room.

Jean-Claude

Home | Main Index | Thread Index