[vdr] Re: Mplayer-plugin output blocky..

Also sprach Ari Huttunen zu "03.12.2003 08:10" Anno Domini:

> OK, there's definitely something there that I don't get, but no matter.
> I tried encoding without limiting that quantizer and without the 4mv too.
> I also tried it via encoder/lavc, with various options or not, like
> filtering, quarterpels, etc. I couldn't try divx4 in mencoder since
> that wasn't seemingly installed, and I didn't feel like recompiling again.
>
> In the end, the only thing that had any real noticable difference was
> the bit rate. 1500 kbit/s looked sort of bad, 1800 kbit/s had noticable
> macroblock visibility, and 2500 kbit/s was only marginally better than
> 1800 kbit/s. And I think that by using mencoder and not ffmpeg directly
> I got slightly better results.
>
> Still, I don't think the encoder is necessarily bad. I just think it uses
> all those extra bits to enhance the part of the picture that I *don't*
> look at,
> or for other scenes. (I don't know for how long a time period a 2-pass
> encoder
> can allocate those kbit/s.) It's not like the overall quality of all these
> recordings wouldn't be generally good, since it is.
>
> I do think this problem would be better solved by an output filter that
> would
> somehow smooth out the macroblock boundaries when decoding. I believe
> this is
> called a deblocking filter. I did try to apply it when playing it with
> mplayer-plugin, but I apparently failed because it had no effect. Thus, my
> suspicion that the MPEG-1 phase re-introduced those boundaries due to
> insufficient bandwidth.

I obviously slowly run out of knowledge. I don't know how to help you
further. The only thing I could still imagine is that my encoding setup
with the commercial divX library has something in, that you or ffmpeg
misses. I used to encode video at resolutions up to 1024x576 with
"mencoder -ovc divx4 -divx4opts br=1500:q=5:pass={1,2} ..." hand never
seen any artifacts. For encoding "Star Trek: Enterprise" recorded with
vdr I even use a bitrate of 950 with a resolution of 768x432 and
mencoders deinterlacing filter.

If there is noone who can help you further here on the list, please
consider asking on the mplayer-user and the ffmpeg lists.

CU & Good Luck
--
Patrick Cernko | mailto:errror@errror.de | http://www.errror.de
Quote of the Week: "/vmlinuz does not exist.