[vdr] Re: Mplayer-plugin output blocky..

Patrick Cernko wrote:
I obviously slowly run out of knowledge. I don't know how to help you
further. The only thing I could still imagine is that my encoding setup
with the commercial divX library has something in, that you or ffmpeg
misses. I used to encode video at resolutions up to 1024x576 with
"mencoder -ovc divx4 -divx4opts br=1500:q=5:pass={1,2} ..." hand never
seen any artifacts. For encoding "Star Trek: Enterprise" recorded with
vdr I even use a bitrate of 950 with a resolution of 768x432 and
mencoders deinterlacing filter.
Some updated information.. I switched to using the 1.0pre3 version
of mplayer (I had 1.0pre2), and the encoding quality with lavc is
indeed better. Now the 1800kbit/s quality (mpeg4, PAL size) would
be about usable. It's close to what the previous version got with
2500kbit/s. It doesn't really compete with the quality of the
original MPEG-2, which is around 3300kbit/s.

Mplayer release notes say they're now using Lagrange multipliers,
whatever they are. You can set them manually for LAVC like "lmax=5",
which will probably yield a rather large file. It's not known to
me if there's any difference with specifying a larget kbit/s rate
initially, and forcing a smaller one updwards with lmax. It looks
pretty same to me.

I also tried using the linux drivers I downloaded from divx.com, which
compiled fine, but they crashed mencoder.

Ari

--
Everything is not as bad as it seems. <Poolzmaiden>