[vdr] Re: OSD redesign in VDR 1.3.x

Clemens Kirchgatterer wrote:

> Klaus Schmidinger <Klaus.Schmidinger@cadsoft.de> wrote:
>
> > Clemens Kirchgatterer wrote:
>
> > > while we are on it: a few weeks ago i experimented with a simple
> > > sprite engine based on RawOsd and per pixel writes to it. i tried to
> > > emulate old fashioned hardware sprites and this is getting close to
> > > impossible to do with good performance as sprites can cross and
> > > overlap independently. on the other hand with the OSDs multiple
> > > window support it should be rather easy. each sprite could have its
> > > own window and i would not need to think about background saving,
> > > stacking and refreshing. maybe you could still provide a way to open
> > > multiple windows in the new osd implementation?
> >
> > I'm afraid not. If you want such functionality you can draw into
> > your own cBitmaps and display them with SetBitmap().
>
> but SetBitmap() will draw the cBitmap object into a global framebuffer i
> guess. so this will not work. then i have all the difficulties with
> background saving and bitmaps moving over each other, i explaind above.
> :-(

Well, this would still be a very hardware specific thing and probably wouldn't
work on other hardware.

The most generic way of implementing the OSD is certainly to assume there
is one big drawing area. The "sub-area" stuff I want to implement (which
basically is what the cWindows do now, just without the stacking and
relocating) is a compromise to be able to run VDR with the existing hardware.

Klaus