[linux-dvb] Re: New DVB driver release 1.0.0-pre1

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 08:22:31PM +0100, Emard wrote:
> > it's pretty easy to build cross compilers under Debian. Below a quoted
> > mail from one of the Debian Maintainers describing how you can do this.
> >
> > If you want to use the more generic approach you'll find plenty of
> > cross-gcc-HOWTOs on the web.
> >
> > Holger
>
> Is it? I tried that toolchain, and I'm failing with building of the
> libc. It downloads something 10 MB from UK server, and then errors saying
> some dependency db1-arm-something.blabla cannot be fount.
>
> So I got only binutils working, no build for libc and no for gcc
> from the toolchain. I thought someone have posted somewhere complete
> deb package he got after successful toolchain invocation...

You don't need glibc for writing small embedded applications.
You can use dietlibc, but you must stay away from anything
that uses linux syscalls ;)

I'd suggest getting recent binutils and gcc sources, have a look
at the patches Debian uses to see if you need some of them,
and configure binutils and gcc for an embedded target, e.g.
arm-elf, *not* arm-linux.

But I haven't done this myself, at least not for ARM.

Depending on what exactly you do you might get away with using
an arm-linux toolchain, but you better know how to find bugs
in objdump disassemly...

BTW, I think the ARM bintuils and gcc can generate both big and little
endian code. If you write code that does not depend on
libgcc (or if your gcc is configured with multi-lib support and thus has
both a big and little endian libgcc), it could work.

Regards,
Johannes