[linux-dvb] Re: streaming DVB-t over a LAN

Ben Francis (ben@franci5.fsnet.co.uk) wrote:
> Greetings
>
> I've just ordered a DVD-t card (Hauppage Nova-t) from dabs and hope to
> run it under Debian GNU/Linux although I'm not sure where to start -
> I've dowloaded  the linux drivers but not sure how to watch channels in X.
>
> Once I do get it working has anyone ever managed to stream a TV channel
> over a 100Mbit local LAN i.e. my home network to make digital TV
> available to all the machines on the network? I appreciate this would be
> heavy on network traffic. The other machines currently run Windows XP,
> would they need to run Linux to recieve the stream? It would mean I
> could still use my computer while dad watches the football!
>
> Any ideas? Has it been done?

A channel only uses 10mbit max, so your local lan shouldn't have any problems.

What I have found to be a problem is finding players that will listen to
boradcasted MPEG2 streams.  It seems to stem from the fact there are a lot of
methods to do this (from dvbstream to videolan etc), and each seem to use
different methods of sending the data.   So I've yet to come across one that
can both send the data mutlicast, and have a windows player and unix player
access the stream.

If anyone does have a good combination setup, would love to hear about it too.

Andy.