[linux-dvb] Re: I think I may have a problem....

Hi,

On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 06:07:29PM -0000, Adrian P Challinor wrote:
> Whilst trying to get my DVB system to work I happened to touch the shield of
> the cable between the TV and the Linux box.... and got an electric shock. An
> investigation with a test screwdriver shows that the TV is putting out mains
> power on the aerial in shield.

What you're seeing is probably the tv "ground" discharging itself
through your fingers. This happens because the tv is usually not
attached to to your mains ground and the electronics are set up so
that capacitance effect comes up. I came about this problem too, by
first blowing up one dvb card and then getting shock treatment
myself (composite out -> me -> tv set). And of course it might be
that your aerial isn't properly grounded either and the tv won't get
a chance to discharge through that one - which was essentially the
case back here, since the tv set wasn't connected to the building's
tv antenna socket.

> Worrying part is that this TV is the one the kids use in their bedroom.

You could always consult an electrician or similar for directions.
Having an indoor tv antenna isn't really a good idea if you can't
ground it somehow. And remember to connect the devices when either
one of them (preferrably both) are turned off.

Of course the usual "I am _NOT_ a professional electrician" clause
applies here. :)

--
Juha.Ylipekkala -- http://ee.oulu.fi/~jylipekk/