[linux-dvb] Re: Echostar/Dish Network in USA w/Hauppauge Nagravision CAM

Vito,

    I don't think ( in fact, I'm almost positive... ) that Haup actually sells the CAM's,
they just test the modules that are available on the market for compatibility with their
boards.  Also, the DVB-S card is not sold in the US so they probably will not be very
supportive of the idea from the office here.  I did some reading after I replied last night
and I think that the 3rd stumbling block will be the serial key that a typical Dish receiver
provides to the cam.  This serial number unique to each box that is made and provides a way
to tie a single box to a single card.  I doubt that the DVB-S card can provide a Dish
compatible code to the CAM to allow for its use.  The serial number of an existing Dish box
can be determined ( with great physical difficulty! the box has to be opened and a large
surface mount chip has to be removed and processed by an external reader, then the chip has
to be replaced ( if you ever want to use the box again (g) ).  But if the DVB-S card could be
given the box serial number that the smart card is keyed to and provide it to the CAM
properly then... yikes! what a mess...  Its still remotely possible, but you'd have to want
it really bad and at any cost...

    Bill