[linux-dvb] Re: transport errors & femon

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 03:12:53PM +0100, Holger Waechtler wrote:
> Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> >OK, I'll try to explain better. I'm watching station X, and everything
> >works fine, in live TV in MythTV. Then I tell Myth to change to station
> >Y, which involves changing frequency (and perhaps FEC rate & guard
> >interval) as well as new pids.
> >
> >After changing I get continuous transport errors and the picture/audio
> >breaks up. It doesn't seem to resolve within a few seconds. If I quit
> >live TV, Myth keeps the frontend running and tuned. I don't know if it
> >disables the demux or not. When I go back to live TV, Myth doesn't have
> >to change frequency etc. However I no longer have the non-stop transport
> >errors!
>
> Hmmm, do you have a simple test program that can reproduce this? If not,
> can you create one? This should help understanding what's happening...

I'm working on it. I've got a simple programming running which accepts
the MPEG-2 TS frames and checks the error bit, but I haven't made it
fail in the same way yet. Obviously the exact I/O pattern from myth is
fairly difficult to observe.

> Maybe some part of the frontend is not reset correctly, you could add
> some printk()'s to check what is done differently in those cases...

Good idea, thanks.

It would be handy if the dvr0 device could be read by multiple readers,
so I could check for real packet errors while changing station in myth.
I suppose that would really change the experiment though!

Hamish