[vdr] Re: Small wishes for VDR ;-)

Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:
> > Oh well, it could be so easy if those channels would simply adhere to the
> > standard... I wonder what kind of idiots make such decisions...
>
> I don't think that you should build something like that into VDR. I would
> suggest to call an external-"epg-fix"-Programm. This way you only have to
> program the "infrastructure" in VDR once and the Fix-Programm can be
> developed/distributed seperatly.

I believe that the most productive and future-proof course of
action is the one that Klaus has already taken in the case of
Pro7: inform the people who are causing the problem that and
how they have fucked up and give them a chance to correct it.
As soon as everyone has fixed their stuff, the vdr code will
work right as it is.

In the meantime, some simple heuristics that eventually add or
subtract an hour or two to/from the EPG time so the EPG info can
be displayed correctly, are IMHO too simple a task to call up an
external program in order to perform them.

The interesting question for these heuristics is: how do we
find out the correct offset automatically?

One idea has already failed: Klaus has found out that the system
time is not necessarily off by the same amount as the EPG time.

Another idea is to see if the EPG entry marked as "current" lies
in the future.
Of course, this will also work in the other direction.
I believe the playing time of EPG entries is also known, so one
could check whether start time + length is < now.
Unfortunately, both methods will only work precisely, when you
periodically monitor the EPG and catch the approximate moment
when a new entry becomes current.

Any better ideas?

Carsten.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index