[linux-dvb] Re: Generating progressive video

Michael Plagge said:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 21:45, Juha Pahkala wrote:
>> Allow me to suggest something (hopefully not too stupid)
>>
>> Why not make this part of the 'softmpeg' library announced in
>> direcrfb.org site a few weeks back. There is already CLE266 based
>> hardware decoding being developed there in addition to software decoding
>> I believe, so adding av7110 based hardware decoding there also might
>> make this softmpeg library quite useful for lots of projects.
>>
>> just my $0.02
>>
>> juhis
>

> i am not quite sure if i get your point. I just read the info about this
> 'softmpeg'
> library. If understand the infos right, this library aims to provide on
> the one hand a software layer for decoding mpeg2 and on the other hand
> use the hardware mpeg decoder CL266 on VIA boards. This decoder seems to
> be hardwired with the TV-out of the VIA-boards. To subsume this seems to
> be another approach to get budget cards running.
>
> My intention is to provide (hopefully) a software which put deinterlaced
> video material via a digital connection (DVI) to appropriate TV or
> beamers. The main difference to the softmpeg-library is the focus on
> generating high quality deinterlaced progressive material. I am not sure
> if the CLE266 hardware decoder is capable of providing progressive
> output ?
>
> Do you think these different aims could be reasonable combined ?
>
> sincerely
> michal

i'm no longer quite sure _i_ get my point ;) but i probably misunderstood
what you want to do. so nevermind.

what i'd like to see is a library for decoding mpeg streams, utilizing
possible hw decoders and falling back to software if not awailable. and
outputting the streams via directfb or xv. this library could be used by
all these great pvr apps on linux (vdr,freevo,mythtv...). i know there are
multiple projects that _almost_ fill the role of such a library, but i'd
like to see one collective effort. and i thought softmpeg is such an
effort.

for example, i have a siemens dvb-c card with hw decoder. and i have a
g400. i'd like to use the onboard hw decoder when decoding mpeg streams,
but i don't want to use the tv-out of the siemens card since that prevents
me from using any other software than vdr on that machine. so in my
dreamworld there'd be a library that all of these projects could use that
would enable this.

now the disclamer. in real world, i _do_not_ know what i'm talking about.
i have absolutely no idea how this could be accomplished.

juhis